Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Rhetorical

When Andrea finished her oatmeal this morning I asked her if she was ready to get down.  "No," she said shaking her head.  "Nana!"  She pointed to the slice of counter where the bananas typically perch.
"They're all gone."  I told her.
"All gone nana?"  She looked up at me desperately then sighed.  "Dit down."

I love hearing her express herself through words.  But it's taught me something.  I ask too many rhetorical questions, and now that her favorite word is "no" I'm in trouble.  A day in the life of me is:

ME: Should we wipe your face?
A: No!

Should we change your diaper?
No!

Do you want to go inside?
No!

Should we turn off the music?
No!

Can I have my phone back?
No!

Do you want me to help you up the stairs?
No!

Ready to get out of the bath?
NO!

Of course, when she says "no" I do whatever I originally intended regardless of her answer, and she throws a little fit.  I don't think she understands the meaning of rhetorical yet.  I'm currently trying to break this habit of asking questions when I mean to give direction.  Hopefully, it will lead to less battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment