Friday, January 7, 2011

A virtuous woman

Tuesday night was Enrichment night.  It's been weeks since I've had good adult gospel instruction.  Sacrament meeting is less than stimulating when one is trying to nurse and change a baby.  I often miss the Sharing Time lesson in Primary because I'm running around delivering and picking up rolls.  So, I was looking forward to a night without baby where I could speak in a voice low enough to be picked up by adults, not just infants and dogs.  The bishop was the guest speaker and he addressed the theme for the year which is Proverbs 31:10-31.  This scripture is all about the qualities of a virtuous woman.

Merriam Webster Online Dictionary has many definitions for virtue.  Some of them include: conformity to a standard of right; an order of angels; courage; valor; merit.  In the last few weeks I have felt nothing near virtuous.  I've felt scared, angry, sad, exhausted, weak, hopeless.  After listening to the words of the Bishop I wanted to be a virtuous and strong, but I realized virtue doesn't just happen like lightning or a sneeze.  If I'm going to be the woman my husband deserves, my daughter deserves, and I deserve I'm going to have to do a little work.

There are roughly 23 qualities of a virtuous woman in Proverbs 31, so each month I'm going to focus on developing two.  Hopefully as the qualities build upon each other I'll find my long lost inner strength.  January's theme is verses 11-12 which says:
The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.  She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
Paul, this month is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment