Monday, June 7, 2010

My little ramen baby

 It seems odd that the noise that nearly stopped my heart was a heartbeat:

Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump.

It was short, but definitely there.  The baby kicked the doppler before squirming away, so the midwife poked around on my lower abdomen until another thump thump pierced through the air.  I smiled a smile as wide as my face and then some.  There is really a little person inside me.

I technically knew that before.  No period for months, positive pregnancy tests, puking, fatigue, bloating, food aversions and cravings.  I had to be pregnant.  But without feeling the baby move or seeing a real baby bump, it often didn't seem real.  But that beat was sure evidence that there is something inside me, and it's alive.

It even has a personality.

A feisty personalty that loves to kick dopplers.  I think it knew I don't like anything medical and was acting out to protect me.  Maybe. . . you never know.

I can't wait until I know the gender so it doesn't have to be an 'it' anymore.

And I have some more big news:

Hi. . . my name is Kayla, and it has been two days since I've had a bowl of ramen.  Whoa.

I'm entering my second trimester this week as well as celebrating my birthday.  I can't think of a better gift than decreased nausea.  I've been testing the water the past two days to see what my limits are.  Although, I still have to eat often, I won't die if I don't get my ramen first thing in the morning.  I may never eat ramen ever again if I can help it.  I have dreams my baby emerges not as a carbon based life form, but an MSG creature.

I'm trying to get some exercise too.  I feel bigger than a barn and I look it.  My body is changing.  Hips widening, belly protruding, but not in a pregnant-looking way.  It's more of a 'I'm so bloated I may start floating' sort of way.  And I don't quite understand it.  In the last month I've only gained three pounds.  And went up two pant sizes.  For THREE measly pounds.  But a good deal of walking (and prunes) should help (I hope) with my new fluffy tummy so people will touch my baby bump instead of patting my bloat.

Pregnancy makes you loose all sorts of pride.

1 comment:

  1. yay!! 2nd trimester! :) I will send you my 'baby doppler' after i give birth - its this little handheld baby heartbeat monitor - so whenever you wanna check on how the baby is doing you can listen to his heartbeat or listen to him/her squirm around.
    When do you find out if it's a boy or a girl?

    ReplyDelete